Monday, May 5, 2008

Spring is Nearly here...

I can feel it - Spring has almost made it to Central Minnesota. According to Curt's Dad, the new alfalfa is starting to sprout - a sure sign that Spring will come.

We had a busy fun filled weekend. On Friday Missy Poepping and her kids (Paige & Tyler) came to our house for a visit. Jake knows Paige pretty well from daycare. The kids had a nice time and I got a little adult conversation in. We had planned to spend the morning at the Melrose library but they don't open until afternoon.

After nap Jake, Ben and I headed to Fleet Farm to buy Cousin Gabe a present. Amy and Gabe were coming up for the evening and Jake insisted that Gabe need a shovel, rake and hoe like his. Well, they were sold out of the shovels, but we picked up the rake and hoe. We spent the rest of the evening at Bergmann's. Gabe and Jake had a great time playing together - they seem to do better and better every time they are together. Ben was a hoot - for whatever reason he was squealing and talking all night.

Saturday Amber, Jacob and Gavin came for a visit. It was great to see all of them - I hate to admit it but it was the first time that I met Gavin. Now we owe them a visit to their house. I doubt Ben will make the trip but Jake might be OK with it. Jake and Jacob played really pretty good for not knowing each other. Toward lunchtime it was starting to get a little rowdy (my kid needed a nap) so the Middendorf's headed back to town.

After nap I took the boys to WalMart. Ben is doing much better going to stores. When he was little we didn't bother - he hated being there. Now he can sit in the cart and look around. If it wasn't for the car ride it would be a perfect outing. He really just doesn't like his car seat. I think the only problem is that it restricts him and he wants to be on the go at all times.

Sunday we went shopping again! By this time I had almost had enough of it. Both boys were great again and the weather was nice so it wasn't too bad. We went to Fleet Supply in Sauk Centre to get Curt's dad a birthday present. Jake thought it was fun. He helped me wrap it when we got home. That afternoon we spent at the Feldewerd Farm celebrating Melvin's birthday. If it wouldn't have been for the wind it would have been a perfect evening.

We decided to quit daycare at Heidi's at the end of the school year. Amanda Hellermann is going to come to the house for the summer and stay with the boys. I'm so excited. I think it will be a nice break for them and for me. I am hoping to work earlier days and get home earlier in the evening to enjoy the summer days with the boys. In the Fall we'll have to start back at daycare since Amanda works at St. Mary's school. We don't have concrete plans at this point but I think we have something lined up.

Ben is 8 months old now and growing so fast. He's so fun - loves to babble - loves to be talked to - and is always checking where Jake is at (he might miss an opportunity to learn something valuable from his brother). Jake has a tendency to still be a little rough with him but I know the time is coming when Ben will get him back. Ben can get up on all fours now but that's about it. He still does his main navigation by rolling from place to place. Jake has turned into a 'boy'. He loves to be in the sandbox and out riding his bike. I can't believe how much he's grown up. He certainly has a personality - a fairly strong one (can't imagine where that came from), but most of the time it's great. He's starting to put more complex things together - like showing me on his hands how many people were somewhere and then adding more fingers for extra people. He can also recognize groups of 3-4 things and tell me that there are 3 without having to count them out. It is so amazing watching their brains develop.

That's all from here. Enjoy the sunshine!

No comments: