Saturday, March 19, 2011

Ben's Surgery

Ben has had a bit of a tough winter, constantly battling a cough.  He's also had some other kind of strange symptoms, one of them being that he would gag super easily.  It had gotten to the point where he could barely wear a shirt during the day because it made him gag.  I had him to the doc a number of times and no one seemed to think it was as strange as I did.  I finally decided he needed to go to see and ENT doc to check his tonsils and adenoid (he had been having other adenoid symptoms since last summer).  Our doc thought I was crazy and wanted him to see an allergery/asthma doc.  I went ahead anywhere and a week later Ben had his tonsils and adenoid removed.  His adenoid was large and his tonsils were 'hooked' down in his throat.  The doc said that they were quite a bit larger than they looked.

Ben did awesome with surgery - our experience with Jake was probably almost as bad as it could get - made this one a breeze.  Getting better at home was a bit more of a challenge.  The whole house has a chest cold and Ben was not spared.  Pretty tough having to cough when you've just had your tonsils out.  I'm not sure if it is all a 'cold' some of it could be leftover cough from whatever was causing it in the first place.  I think we'll give it a little while and if it doesn't clear up with nebs we'll have to maybe see that allergy doc.  After about 8 days we got our Benners back - we sure did miss him!!!  :)  The gagging is gone!!!  I guess those tonsils were the problem.

No comments: